Thread: My First "Kit"
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalnitram View Post
you must realize how lucky you are. amazing! please keep posting pics of progress. looks very nice.
Thank you. I, too, am pleased with it so far.

Yes, I feel very fortunate to find a luthier like Larry who is both local and interested in teaching luthierie. I lucked into a very good situation with a guy who could not be more patient.

Quote:
sooooo, popsicle brace, yes or no?
And the answer is....*Drum Roll*

No! Larry views it as a structural choice. I view it (in my "expert" opinion) as freeing up the top a bit. One of my Collings has no tongue (popsicle) brace (and a darn fine sounding guitar it is), so we looked in there to see what they did to deal with its absence. They have a strip of mahog on the center seam. We went with a strip of Adi as sown below.

Note also we tucked the tone bars and finger braces under the X-brace, capped the X with an Adi cap, and faded to nothing the lower ends of the X-brace. The same was done with the ends of the finger braces (shaving was not complete when this photo was taken). The other ends were brought down to 1/10", which Larry tells me is a Martin standard. Everything above the bridge plate remains flat or convex. Below there is some scalloping action.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually

Last edited by OddManOut; 02-22-2011 at 08:43 PM.