View Single Post
Old 01-11-2018, 06:57 AM

Depends on which guitar:

For my 630mm Dominelli double top (spruce/cedar top and honduran rosewood back and sides), I alternate between D'Addario hard and extra hard tension pro arte trebles and EXP basses depending on whether I want a stronger or lighter right hand attack. I get a warmth, sustain, and consistency out of these strings that I just haven't found elsewhere.

For my 650mm Traphagen (cedar/indian rosewood), I use luthier medium tension basses, high tension Knobloch G and B string and then a D'Addario pro arte extra hard or hard 1st string. I like crisper basses of luthier on this guitar with nice carbon 2nd and 3rd string with a warmer pro arte nylon first.

For my 13 string balsa core double top Thames Dresden guitar cedar/spruce, Indian Rosewood (tuned from high to low, f-d-a-f-d-a-g-f-e-d-c-b-a at A=415), I use EJ45 pro arte 1st string, EJ 43 2nd string, seager premier flurocarbon leader line for the 3 and 4th strings, then pyramid silver strings for the remaining. I use this setup as it doesn't put too much tension on the bridge and soundboard while sounding both clear and full for tone (carbon 1st and 2nd sounded too nasally).

I never use 1st string carbons. My tone is always just a bit too thin with them.

Last edited by Emile640; 01-11-2018 at 08:03 AM.