View Single Post
Old 12-31-2017, 10:11 AM

Thank you. I usually despise floaters because to my ear they always sound like amplified acoustics with low output. In fact I owned a Hofner Jazzica once and never could dial in the right tone. I ended cutting the top and putting in a set in Kent Armstrong humbucker. After that experiment I swore of floaters and said I would stick to set pick up archtops ala Gibsons etc...I did own a Carlo Robelli/Peerless Monarch with a floater. This too after a while suffered from the same personally perceived flaws (great acoustically)...so so amplified. On this one, I contacted KENT Armstrong and he ended up winding me a full size humbucker which solved the "amplified" acoustic sound issue without cutting the top. Anyway, this one sounds richer but in no way is as warm and fat as the Gibson es 175. In fact in the video where I compare my es 175 with the D'angelico the tone is ALL the way down on the D'angelico and ALL the way UP on the Gibson. Still despite this the Gibson is still darker and warmer. Having said that this D'angelico is well built and sounds good acoustically as well.