View Single Post
Old 10-13-2018, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Doug, did you use that mike setup for any of the recordings on your CDs?
I used the Schoeps in MS for the CDs that come with my Christmas book and Mel Bay Fiddle book. For my last normal CD, I used an AEA R88 in MS, but combined with the Brauners as spaced pairs, and mixed to taste. A few of my older you tube videos used MS as well - one thing that's interesting with the Schoeps, is that the mid mic doesn't have to be vertical - I did it that way in this video because it's more visually obvious what's happening, but I know I have a few videos up where I used it with both mics in the same holder, aligned with each other. The Figure 8 is still facing the sides, tho.

I find I cycle thru these mic placements. I use one for a while, then try something I haven't done in a while, and like the change...

Oh, I've also been using MS on some of the duet's I've been recording with Teja Gerken lately. My thought there is that MS allows me more flexibility when mixing the two guitars to treat them as mono, panned to each side, or stereo, etc. Lots of games you can do with the MS and how it sits in the stereo field. Verdict's still out on that, we haven't finished recording, so I haven't done final mixes.