View Single Post
Old 04-11-2010, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
It seems to me that the phase issue in doubling a track and delaying one could be more noticeable when going back to mono as it would be a frequency dependent amplification or diminishment of the waveform that would be precisely constant for each particular frequency over time. In either case in stereo phase varience is creating space and how convincing and stable a source’s position exists in that space. An extra advantage of two mikes while in the stereo mode in terms of overall sence of depth, though not location, is the different tonality that exists in right and left channels. Both methods can work well. Tweak to taste.
Ahh I get your point and perhaps that's so. I only use this method if I am going to leave the gtr mixed back in stereo, or perhaps mixed back panned hard left and hard right, would be more accurate.

Of course it comes down in the end, to personal taste and what sound one is trying to achieve. I do not see it as a question of right or wrong, better or worse, simply another tool in the producers arsenal.

What led me try this method was two things actually First the goal being a wide, big, clean guitar sound. with the big being a primary goal. Second when I started experimenting with summing to mono. I found that two my ears, there was more phase issues going on in the the two mic method I was using, than when using the one mic and dup method. There are of course other methods one might choose, for different desired results. Thus the beauty of art.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4