View Single Post
Old 10-19-2019, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
There are numerous threads about this already. And the short answer is: It depends.

MY PERSONAL TAKE...
In general I prefer the Xbraced models to the v braced. That doesn't mean that some of the V brace models don't sound good or even great. Taylor's new series, the Grand Pacific models all have V-bracing and are tearing up the guitar market right now and seem to be some of the most popularly acclaimed models currently in the Taylor line. You have to try guitars yourself, with the understanding that every instrument is unique unto itself. And while you may love on unit of a given model you may hate a different unit of the same exact model. It is my strong opinion that you have to audition every guitar that is on your purchase radar or you are rolling the dice.

The V brace design claims to have "better intonation" and sustain. In actuality, what it does is it makes the harmonics resonanting in the body more aligned with the intonation of the fundamentals and standard overtones generated by the strings. However, many of the V braced models do that at the expense of bass volume, which the clearer, brighter lower highs exacerbate the perceived loss of bass. This isn't necessarily so in all models. So again, it depends.

But one of my own personal experiences is what has confirmed my general bias toward the X braced models...
I had taken my Taylor 814ceDLX (X) to a local shop to see if I was interested in purchased a 90's vintage 910. I just didn't want to duplicate the sound I had with the 814. I ended up buying the 910. HOWEVER, as I stood there gabbing with the owner, I saw an 814ceDLX (V) hanging across the room. Here was the perfect chance to do a side-by-side comparison. So I played a few chords and licks on my guitar then picked up the V brace model. As I played the 814V I could see the owner's face grimace. In comparison the V braced model was bright and thin and comparatively unpleasant.

I'm sure there will be others who will offer different opinions. And the truth is that everyone's ears have a preference in what they want to hear in a guitar. So don't just take my word and opinion as fact. Go play and listen for yourself. Then decide.
I am beginning to think that V-bracing works better for some guitars and not as well for others. I don't care for the sound of the 814 and 914 V-braced guitars. I prefer the X-braced versions, but prefer many other brands/models to these regardless. I recently purchased a K14ce Builder's Edition that is V-braced V-class, they call it) because its sound is (to me) "magical".

What I mean by "magical" is that when I am playing it, I am not practicing scales, arpeggios, and chords, but instead just exploring the sounds it can make. I have encountered very few guitars, whether mass produced or boutique that have that effect on me. That is solely why I bought this guitar.

I certainly have absolutely no idea how an X-braced version of this same model would compare because this is the first K14ce I have encountered. However, I can say that the V-bracing certainly didn't hurt the bass response, and the clarity (regardless of what tuning is used) all over the fretboard is something I can truly appreciate.

So, it really still comes down to try before you buy, rather than forming an opinion based on forum chatter.

In other words, I agree with the post I quoted...

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...