View Single Post
Old 01-08-2020, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Default I'm On Fire by Bruce Springsteen (cover)

"I'm On Fire" was released in 1984 as part of Springsteen's classic album, Born in the U.S.A. I've always appreciated this song but never tried to play it until now.

It took me a week or so to get the new finger picking pattern down so that I could reliably record this and bring out the signature sound of the lead guitar in Springsteen's famous recording. I am palm muting most of the lower, wound strings on the Martin 000-28VS played in this video, and because I am not hitting the high, unwound strings much, if at all, the guitar almost sounds like a classical guitar.

I started out duplicating the sound of the E Street Band, using a Fender Stratocaster electric guitar, which I thought sounded really cool. But my wife suggested I use an acoustic guitar to get a warmer sound, and once I tried it, I liked the sound instantly.

I couldn't help myself... I added a drum track, bass and a synthesizer track to pay homage to the original arrangement, which I like very much.

The background behind me in the video is a short, looped 20-30 second video, which I took of the smouldering embers in my small wood stove in my studio.

I hope you like this -- thanks for watching!

- Glenn