View Single Post
Old 01-15-2016, 05:44 AM
Charter Member

Hey Zandit...what Matthew said...in fact here is a link to the build thread: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=313740

It is a wonderful thread and a wonderful guitar too! I expect that Devan had a once in a lifetime experience doing his course.

The course that you are considering sounds really interesting. I would love to do such a course but I know how bad my woodworking ability is! My 2 cents worth about the time required is that a lot of time could be taken up with the fancy bits - rosette etc. If you are using Tassie wood you can make a guitar that may be quite unadorned and still be very striking. If you get across to Devonport at all, drop in to Distinctive Timbers - they usually have a great range of guitar wood like Tassie Blackwood (got a set from then a while back!) and myrtle and sassafras. It will give you a first hand look at the options you have for back and sides so you are better informed if you do the course.

I guess my other thought would be size of the guitar that you want. For example, are you a dreadnought man for the next 20 years, or are you getting more interested in comfy little OM's? I guess that you do not have much range to look at in Penguin but if you get up to Melbourne for example, you could drop into Acoustic Music Centre and play a bunch of guitars to add to your understanding of tones, sizes, actions etc etc.

Col