View Single Post
Old 08-26-2016, 11:48 AM

After reading what Charles said in his previous reply and having re-read some other bits and pieces in my build book, I went back again today and took a little more wood off the sides of the lower legs of the X braces and the 2 long lower braces, essentially making them all more triangular and thinner but the same height. This has "lowered" the pitch of the tap tone slightly, and perhaps now it sounds a bit less "too tight" (but still pretty tight) and it still resonates fairly well, but even with that material removal the top deflection is still practically zero. I was having to push fairly hard to get any if at all. I now realise to fix this I should have lowered the bracing height and left the bracing the same width. I hope its not too late and I haven't removed too much that any further lowering the brace height to allow additional deflection will just kill it.

You can see the lack of deflection and "new" tap tone in this new video

the pictures below show the current state and shape of the bracing as in todays video.
It was previously mentioned that I could/should install some additional bracing around the soundhole. I had/have forgotten about that until I was writing this right now.

Untitled by David Emm, on Flickr