View Single Post
Old 06-16-2016, 08:03 PM
Guest 928

Tom2;

I'm finding your findings fascinating. You are much more rigorous than I.

Of your findings, I find one contrary to my preference. I understand the extra projection brought to nylon strings with added tension; hard tension, extra hard tension and so forth. However, in going to hard tension strings I've found that the tonal qualities begin to resemble those found with steel strings. I am currently running through a variety of high tension strings and I am starting to think that some high tension strings are retaining normal tension nylon sound. I don't see how this can be, but then, there's a lot of things I have a hard time believing.

Another issue that I think is very important in our revolutionary nylon string guitar is the cut-a-way and ergonomic bevels. I like cut-a-ways and the high fret reach they allow. But I also believe that cut-a-ways seriously alter both projection and tone--I believe the same of bevels and such.

My search has been for a CF guitar that equals the qualities of a fine classical guitar. One of my models has been my brother-in-law's Ramirez. I have yet to find a cut-a-way nylon string that competes with a good classical guitar. I've checked out just about every nylon string guitar with a cut-a-way, up to about $3,000, and have yet to find one that satisfies my goal.

I suspect that the diminishment of chamber space and the interruption of the space have a lot to do with the diminishment of tone and projection. I suspect that the same may be said of ergonomic bevels that allow for more comfortable play but may also alter the travel of sound.

I would like to hear your thoughts on string tension and cut-a-ways. Hopefully, between us, we can get Rob on the right path. When we get done with this thread we can send him a bill for our consultations.