View Single Post
Old 03-29-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
<snip>
And as to Emeralds not having sustain, as someone mentioned, that's the first time I've heard that. Compared to wood guitars, the sustain on my smaller X7 is fantastic and I would expect it to be better on an X20. <snip>
Actually it was an X20 that I found to have the least amount of sustain, and what I mean by that is lack of sustain up the neck, especially at the 12th fret.

FYI I live about a mile from LA Guitar Sales and although he no longer carries Emerald or CA, he used to carry them. When I bought my first CF, a Composite Acoustic, Ted had over forty to choose from. Not sure why Peavey isn't begging him to carry the brand again but I digress. Anyway, besides all those CA's, Ted kept dozens of Rainsongs, mostly all of the Blackbirds, and a half dozen Emeralds so I had plenty of opportunity to test them all side by side. Although Alistars guitars look good, they just can't compete with the others tonally and I think it has to do with the light weight.

BTW, I took a friend to Teds a few weeks ago so he can try out some cf travel guitars. Ted had the Rainsong Parlor, the Kevin Michael, the Blackbird rider, the Journey cf model, and a used Eemerald X7 on hand, and he even pulled out his personal Cargo for my friend to try. It was a fun, and educational visit and my buddy now has a Journey cf to keep him company on his next overseas trip. I know this thread is not about travel guitars but it was fun to try all these brands side by side again.