View Single Post
Old 03-30-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman68 View Post
I have them all in different guitars and did some extensive A/B - testing once: Same venue, same monitor placement, HPF activated on the preamp ... The K&K always tended to feedback in the lower mids where Dazzo, Schatten and UltraTonic stayed far away from feedback. A graphic analyzer will show that the Schatten, Dazzo, UltraTonic are more flat response than the K&K.
The Schatten HFN is not as bass or lower midrange heavy than the K&K. The UltraTonic is a clever design to avoid feedback. The Dazzo really needs proper installation, then IMO is the most natural PU I use - and less prone to feedback than K&K.
But it heavily depends on the guitar as well: With Collings guitars (even dreads) the K&K always worked fine - less prone to feedback. With a Martin D28 (had an Authentic D28 once) my experience was totally different. Even in my small bodied vintage 017 the sound still is boxy (but Tonedexter does wonders) with a K&K, so I removed the middle element, same with my Guild F412 12-string.

By the way: Home quarantine gives us some time, so I will upload a video showing six different guitars with different pickups, comparing the raw PU sound with the TD magic and a pure miked sound. Hope to finish it tomorrow.
The point about the lower mids/low end makes sense with the K&K. I could see that being a bit more feedback prone but I feel like this could be dialed out making it comparable to the other options. I feel that the HFN lacks some low end and that definitely helps for feedback but I do like the fact that the K&K sounds nice and big

I look forward to your video. I feel like I am at the point where I want a simple SBT pickup to use with the Tonedexter.