View Single Post
Old 05-07-2021, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Having just read up on it, I guess Generation Jones is largely what I was talking about earlier in terms of early and late Boomers. So it severs the Boomer generation at 1954 and adds in a few years of early Gen X, although I didn't see what those years were spelled out. So I clearly am one.

But what I've been reading about Gen Jones indicates we're generally pessimistic and angry about everything that the older Boomers got that we missed out on. That's somewhat true economically - we reached adulthood just as high inflation and high interest rates were making it nearly impossible to buy a home or get a foothold.

But OTOH, I wouldn't have traded places with the older Boomers for anything. We benefitted from so many cultural battles they fought - we took for granted in our teen years so many things they had to battle for in their teens and early 20s. And, we didn't have to make soul crushing decisions about whether or how to serve during Vietnam. They grew up with a ton of dislocation and tumult - we grew up relatively free and easy in comparison, taking for granted much that they had to fight for at great emotional cost, at the very least. The payback was that we reached adulthood at the end of the postwar hyper-prosperity and the beginning of a longer term economic reality settling in. To me, those were tradeoffs that worked to the favor of us Jones's, but obviously many people felt quite differently.

I'm definitely in favor of some sort of demographic split in there, though, and Generation Jones does that, in a fairly reasonable place, I think.

-Ray