View Single Post
Old 02-20-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
Sure, as long as one doesn't assign hyperbole as something only found in other gigging musicians posts and facts solely to their own.
You mean like these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
Those who use the Bose system almost never have the volume cranked so high that people are having to raise their voices much to continue their conversations.
Interesting, because I've heard a few acts be too loud with Bose systems.

Quote:
Those who don't use the Bose system (either bring their own gear or use "house-supplied" gear . . with or without a house sound guy) almost always have the volume cranked so high that people have to raise their voices to continue their converstations . . . and it can become a bit of a "battle" . . . voices go up, raise the volume, etc..
Almost always? Wow, that speaks more to the individual that has access to the volume knob more than the equipment itself.

Quote:
There's always the exceptions . . . especially when a GOOD sound guy is available at the place. But I'd say most of those sound guys just crank the volume.
There must be no good engineers in his area. Sad, really.

Quote:
Their "upgraded" system is indeed a "fuller" and louder sound, but that doesn't necessarily turn into an improvement. And it's not . . at least not in my opinion.
At least they saved it and stated it as an opinion.

So unless you have a Bose System, you're almost always going to not only be too loud, but you're likely to sound bad. Hmmmmmm,... it's an actual fact that this isn't true, and the above quote sections are what I was referring to in my post.

My argument remains that if one takes a little time to learn that part of the craft, they can get better results with decent club level PA gear in all situations. It will also cost them less money.

Scooping out key midrange frequencies might make a system easier to get a decent sound on, but there's a disconnect when I hear live music through systems such as that. Being able to have control over the frequencies that you want to cut, and keep the FOH speakers (that can also be set back behind the performers) at a moderate level, you can create a similar unobtrusive vibe, which can be made to sound better, in my opinion... and in the opinion of most industry professionals all over the world.

I mean, if that isn't a fact, point me to all of the pro sound companies that will send their cats out with portable column array systems to mix at the club level. I don't know of any, but surely there must be many with all of the walk-on-water claims I see around here.

I've even given those systems a chance and A/B'd them on gigs as a player and as a sound engineer. It's not even close, not only my opinion, but also in the opinions of many who mix for a living.

If that's hyperbole, then I guess I'm guilty. We're all here to help one another, and I don't feel like I'd be helping anyone if I didn't give that side of the discussion it's due respect.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS

Last edited by The Kid!; 02-20-2019 at 02:53 PM.