View Single Post
Old 02-08-2019, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

I recall reading that Alistair wrote that any difference with the veneer would be insignificant, and that they make an allowance for that minor thickness in the build process. I don't recall any specifics about the build schedule.

I often hear about the consistency with carbon fiber, but I think we are all aware that strings (brand, gauge, age), picks, saddle, etc may make a minor difference, as well.

My take is: the veneer is all about the appearance... and while some will say "Looks don't matter," I am not in that camp. I like the veneers AND the carbon fiber weave. (have both) I also think a guitar that you find attractive (and, of course, plays/sounds great) will get picked up more often.

You can't go wrong either way. On this latest Emerald I received, I had the red CF weave with just a bit of extra shading and a shorter scale in my head before the model was even released. It really is just what I was picturing before I ever placed the order. What mental image comes up when you think about ordering a guitar? That should be what you go with. Towards the end of my wait for mine to be built, I contacted Emerald to ask about a veneer I hadn't seen before... and was told, "Your build has been started, so too late to do a veneer... but, you can get one on your next build!" No disappointments, no regrets.

Good luck with the decisions!