View Single Post
Old 01-18-2021, 12:08 AM
Charter Member

Default For No One (Doug Young Arrangement)

Here's my rendition of Doug Young's lovely arrangement of Paul McCartney's For No One from The Beatles Revolver album. The song was also beautifully covered by Emmy Lou Harris on her Pieces of the Sky album and she also plays it live (check out Youtube). The structure of Doug's arrangement follows the original in that he came up with a pretty cool solo acoustic guitar substitute for the French horn player McCartney used.

I took a Zoom class from Doug a couple of months ago that covered this song and I have really enjoyed learning it. I'm certainly not in Doug's league playing it but I aspire to keep listening to his playing to try to improve mine.

This was recorded on my Doerr Trinity 00 with two KM184 mics via Scarlett 2i4 audio interface into Reaper. Post processing is a high pass filter set at 60Hz and I added a touch of compression and reverb.

The song is played with the guitar in DADGAD, capo 2. My tempo is about 85% of Doug's performance tempo but I believe close to Emmy Lou's performance. I've been working hard on trying to improve my dynamics and bring out the melody notes more. I played this with Alaska Piks on middle and ring fingers, natural nail on index finger, and a Fred Kelly "regular" thumbpick. I made up a new set of Alaska Piks with slightly longer "nails" and I believe it helped bring out the treble/melody notes better. Getting a bit better at controlling breathing too but still needs work. I'm fairly pleased with it so far and I'm hoping I can improve it by playing a bit more "legato" in several sections.

Thanks for listening and appreciate any constructive critique.

Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

Last edited by SprintBob; 07-25-2021 at 09:32 PM.