View Single Post
Old 11-15-2020, 02:30 AM
Charter Member

For traditional playing (and if your dulcimer has wooden pegs then you can bet it was built for traditional playing) the string closest to you when the dulcimer is on your lap is the melody string. This is the string you play the melody up and down on with your fingers or more usually a noter (a small stick). The other strings are drone strings and never fretted.

The bass string (furthest from you) should be tuned to D (or a close note that sounds OK). The other 3 strings should be a 5th above the bass at A (or whatever the 5th above the bass note is). This will give you the start of a major scale at the 3rd fret.

Modern dulcimers are played with chords fingering all the strings and are usually tuned to DAd, again with the bass string furthest away from you.

Could you post a photo of your dulcimer? I could be a bit more accurate if I can see what instrument you have because some makers had thier own tuning "quirks".

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.