View Single Post
Old 11-12-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
THose exact words typed into Google either take me to video's that are an hour long or web pages that basically say, take the string off and put the string on. LOL. I cannot believe how difficult this is to find but, here's the deal. THis one looks a bit different.

It has 4 strings and friction pegs. When I got it, it had only 3 strings on it and the bass string was in the 4th string position (closest to me) and the other strings are evenly spaced at the nut and bridge. Every article I have read says that the bass string is the 1st string and the two treble strings are closer together.

To complicate things even more the set of John Pearse strings I bought have the bass string in the 4th position too.

So what gives?

Also on this instrument looking closely at it, it does look as though the nut was cut to have the bass string at the 1st position.

So is there some tuning out there that has the bass string at 4th position and the strings evenly spaced like a guitar? And what would that tuning be?
A few people hold the dulcimer like a strumstick, in which case they often arrange the strings that way, so the highest pitched string is closest to the floor. Then they can fingerpick using the same basic pattern as on a guitar - bass string with the thumb, higher strings with the fingers.

If you don't want to do that, you may need to have the nut recut to allow standard position dulcimer playing (instrument on your lap, strings facing up, lowest pitched string farthest from you).