View Single Post
Old 03-28-2018, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Smile Piano

You should look into the Kawai VPC1 88 key USB controller and the Modartt Pianoteq software. The VPC1 has one of Kawai's best grand piano actions and plays like a real grand piano. The sound and response of the Pianoteq software is phenomenal. Many accomplished pianists use this combination. A good playback system or good studio monitors is a must too. You will also need a computer/laptop and an audio interface. You will never need to tune this setup like a real piano, and moving it is a breeze.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by crafter ga6 View Post
Thanks for all the replies.
I was planning to record the piano first, and thinking along the lines of what works for the piano will work for guitar. I originally thought of renting time in a studio, but most don't seem to have acoustic pianos (I have to have an acoustic piano to be able to play naturally) and my type of playing doesn't lend itself to copy/pasting multiple takes as I don't seem to play the same way every time. I also want to buy my own gear as I want to be able to just record when I feel like it rather than having to wait for a studio booking.
I'm now thinking of maybe buying an AKG D5 (I was planning to for live and possibly recording vocals anyway) and trying that out on the piano to give me an idea of whether dynamic mics will do it justice.

Last edited by Cocobolo Kid; 03-28-2018 at 08:48 PM.