View Single Post
Old 02-27-2022, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcn View Post
Looking terrific, Macassar has got such a rich texture! And those tuners… whoa.
Thanks…

While the Macassar Ebony is indeed beautiful (and quite dense) Steve chose it because of its acoustic potential given my goals for this instrument. Some Ebonies are quite high in damping and have a dead tap to them. Others can be more lively, not rosewood lively, but not ebony dead either. This set has some tap tone to it.

Most higher damping woods are of moderate density (e.g., Koa, Maples and Mahoganies) but density and hardness also can impact the timbre of an instrument. This set is quite dense as most Macassar is. Steve and Ryan thinned this back to about 0.070” (which is quite thin) to try to compensate for this. It still will be on the heavier side for a guitar of its size. This will be my first moderate damping/dense wood guitar so I am interested to hear how it sounds.

With all this talk about the visually striking back and sides, my experience is the lion’s share of a guitar’s tone is in the top itself. The Adirondack Spruce top set that Steve selected for this project that he sourced from Randy Lucas also has him excited. The process of voicing the top is upcoming shortly as they cave the top braces.