View Single Post
Old 11-23-2020, 01:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco gringo View Post
What is the nut width and string spacing on that Santa Cruz? I guess I'm asking, have you played a 14" radius neck of the same width and string spacing as the guitar you are having built?
The Santa Cruz has a 1 3/4" nut width, although it seems to be very slightly wider than that, almost 1 25/32", which I prefer. The string spacing is just a hair over 1 1/2". On my custom guitar the nut width will be 1 13/16", with the standard string spacing for that nut width. I guess 1 9/16", but I didn't check with Michael exactly. I did briefly own a Santa Cruz FS from 1998 that had an extremely comfortable neck. This had a 1 13/16" nut, I don't know the fingerboard radius, but I guess it must have been 14" as it wasn't a custom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommieboy View Post
Why did Michael caution you away from a 14" radius? I too find my FB 20" radius a bit too flat for my needs.
He told me that with 20" Froggy Bottom are fairly far to the flatter side of what's "normal". I was asking for a radius of 14-16", but I needed more data to be sure. He suggested not going too far in the other direction unless I was VERY sure I wanted that. I thought that was quite reasonable. This is one of the reasons I bought this Santa Cruz and why I'm writing this post - to be sure if I really want 14", or if 16" is good enough for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
If I were getting a custom guitar made, I’d make/borrow/buy a radius guage and check the guitars I really like. Maybe your luthier has one you can borrow?
Two problems with that. The first is that I have been gathering data for a few years on guitars that I liked the feel of for a few years - most of which I no longer own. The second is that my luthier lives on a different continent. I will try and buy a radius gauge though. I currently have a Goodall TR000 with a 1 13/16" nut that is quite comfortable, so I was going to go with those specs, but this Santa Cruz reminded me that a curvier radius might fit me even better.

Thanks to all for the feedback!
Brian