Thread: Cats
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2017, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

I read an earlier post where someone demanded that they keep their cats out of his garden/yard whatever.
This is, of course, impossible.

Cats are territorial; they establish their territories by fighting or standing off other cats that might be around.

A cat's territory is not limited by human notions of boundaries but by feline ones and they are three dimensional - i.e all or any part of their territory may also be another cat's but they "own" it at different times - how they agree or tel the time is not shared to us.

However your house is probably considered inviolate as that is his/her "nest/lair", and incomers are rarely accepted without a fight - of course they intruder may win and will then inherit your home in which case there will be a lot of spraying going on.

Cats are complex critters and are not as domesticated as we might think. They are predators and if something small and fluffy or feathery moves, their instincts will take over and they'll hunt-kill etc. Doesn't matter if they are hungry or not. In fact it doesn't matter what it is - they react to movement not species.

My last Burmese male once deposited a rabbit (or most of it, at the to of our stairs - it was bigger than the cat - how he got it though the two cat flaps we'll never know.

I understand that in the US some keep cats permanently in the house. I understand that this may be thought necessary if there are larger native predators who may take them but as that is not the case in the UK I would not keep my cat housebound any more than I'd sentence a bird to life imprisonment in a cage.

We have had four Burmese cats. The last one died in April as I was starting my cancer treatment which was a low blow.

We got him as an adult from the Burmese Club. He had been on a small farm with two or three other cats, and was a "one man cat - the elderly man of the house, who, we were told, died suddenly.
The cat went crazy and drove the other cats out of the house, and attacked the widowed lady. She had to have him taken away.

We are advised to keep cats inside for 4-6 weeks to settle them in...nothing settles a Burmese who wants free reign, (rein?) and he moved a heavy wooden block and smashed through the locked cat flap and destroyed the panel in which it had been installed. He came back when he was hungry.

He surely was very aggressive at first,but once he knew he had freedom to move, he settled down and became a "pussy cat" with me, although Jane never really trusted him even though it was her lap he preferred to watch TV from.
Cats, are complex critters - in fact (and no offence intended) I feel their mentality is rather like autism in humans.