View Single Post
Old 04-18-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I don't assume expertise, but I think it is a challenge to estimate the quality of timber as a tonewood from any tree until it is felled.
I assume that is true. My question was intented to be more in general if NS is/can be a desirable tone wood given proper qualities for guitars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I am sorry to hear of the fine tree on what is currently your land.

Considering the longevity of trees, and humans, could t not be that your drive and house are encroaching on the tree?
Not sure why you'd be sorry about me having a fine tree on my land, but I can assure you that neither my house, nor driveway have grown one inch to encroach on my tree. Perhaps your question is simply too intellectual, too existential for me to understand Seriously, I do get somewhat sentimental about my trees, especially when they harbor all the wonderful song birds they do. At the same time I am a realist about them. I don't romanticize or get "spiritual" about them. All trees someday die from natural causes (disease, injury), and indeed old age, just like all living things including people. We use trees for fuel, building, paper, a variety of chemicals, musical instruments including guitars, etc.

Unfortunately, what I've read and my tree seems to confirm is that NS, unlike the balsams, red pine, popple, birch and giant oaks on my land, do not naturally reproduce well. I wish they did, but that is likely why my NS was planted by a previous owner of my property.