View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
I need you to clarifer something. Powered mixer on main bridge mode (one speaker). What does that mean? I'm checking the manual online and I don't see a "bridge mode". I also notice that the specs say it's rated for a 4ohm load for each channel and you are using an 8ohm speaker. I have to look further because I think it would be unusual for a mixer like that to have 4 ohm loads for each side.

Edit: I found where the setting is for "bridge mode". I don't see any specs for the ohms at the different settings.

2nd Edit: I checked the ratings for my Yamaha EMX 5000-12 which seems to have similar ratings but they are expressed much clearer. My manual states that "bridge mode" sends 1000watts to a single 8ohm load. If you in fact have a single little EV ZX1-90 that is rated to get only 200 watts continuous/400 watts program/800 watts peak, then you FRIED the voice coil in the horn driver giving it 1000 watts and could be in danger of frying the voice coil in the 8" speaker.

Who told you to hook it up that way???
Thanks so much for looking into this for me.

I've had this set up since last Christmas, and I've always used it in this manner. The sales clerk from Sam Ash told me that I could use this set up as long as I'm not driving the speaker too much as it should be 450watt output (half the mixer's capacity of 900).

I just took him on his word, and (until this point) I haven't had a problem with it. I'll open the speaker up over the weekend, and check the voice coil as per your advice, then report back my findings. With that said, would you suggest that I invest in a better speaker (if so any suggestions) when running through this set up?
Takamine TAN16c
Takamine EG340