View Single Post
Old 01-04-2022, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
I'm the opposite, as a Reaper/PC user who can't speak much to Logic, but a couple advantages of Reaper are its low resource usage and a very good set of built-in plugins. It has very clean and (IMO) easy-to-use if not fancy looking compressors, both general and multiband, delay, a pretty nice EQ, gate, an IR processor that can be used for noise reduction, an IR-based reverb if you have impulse files, pitch correction and much more.

I don't know what Logic provides but Reaper definitely has a very good default plugin suite.

In the end it comes down to preference and workflow. You won't make a wrong choice with either.
A lot of DAWs (from your report, that includes Reaper) have most any plug in that a purely acoustic recordist might need/look for. Where Logic is rich is in areas beyond that. I already mentioned the DI bass recording stuff, which initially sold me on Logic. There are a number of useful presets for that instrument that I like to mix with acoustic guitar, all tweakble to taste. Or the Virtual Instrument stuff (not everyone's need or want). I have a bunch of 3rd party VIs, and some of them offer things I like, but I'll still use Logic instruments. For example, I just got done translating a bit of Arthur Rimbaud for a New Year's piece, and I decided I wanted an unusual timbre for the opening motif and settled on Logic's own Chinese guzheng.* And all the percussion sounds are from Logic's included Drummer. The electric bass track has a lot treatment on this one, again using only Logic's effects (Logic has pre-set for simple, clean DI that I use often, works nice with my uke bass)

The Orphans' New Years' Gifts Part I, imaginatively translated from Rimbaud's French

*I might have used acoustic guitar to play that motif, but the house had people here who would objected to the sound leaking out of my little home office "Studio B." The VI did a nice job of sounding like an acoustic guzheng, including tracking that characteristic vibrato) all while being completely silent. Again, not every recordist has wants/desires here. But most DAWs don't come with a guzheng or pipa patch for example.

Again, though I have only played with Reaper a little, I respect what it's doing--and as I said, I could easily imagine going with it I was new and starting from scratch again.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....