View Single Post
Old 05-30-2019, 01:21 PM

Hi Derek:

What has kept me interested is playing with other people. I’m now in my 50th year of musical mediocrity, and the playing (and associated learning) that I’m fondest of has been playing in groups. Whether it’s a monthly get-together of “regulars” or an all-strangers open jam at the union hall, that’s where I’ve always found my best experiences.

When I was a beginner, I was fortunate enough to get together occasionally with some more experienced players who sometimes offered advice but who typically just played on, ignoring my fumbling efforts to keep up. Eventually I caught on and started learning. I’m eternally grateful to those folks.
As I progressed, I learned to listen to the other players & singers, to take cues from them and to follow their moves. I found that understanding the dynamic of a piece of music, and of the players, is equally important to knowing the key, melody & rhythm (for the same reason, I’d much rather watch live theatre than see a film).

Now I’m one of the more experienced players. I’m not necessarily much better than I was when I began, but a grey beard and a thick binder of song sheets provides a certain amount of cred! I still enjoy playing in groups, regardless of the talent level of the participants. I feel like I’m paying back the help that I received when I was younger. Often we’ll begin with simple songs, with the older folks emphasizing the beat. Once the group picks up the rhythm, it can come together quickly, and we’re soon able to progress to more complex pieces. I get as much enjoyment from hearing new players improve as I do from hearing myself play something new.

Cheers