Thread: EQing order?
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2021, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
First, you can get rid of the EQ pedal unless it has a feature on it that the amp or onboard preamp does not have that you need/want (like notch or something). After that, it doesn't really matter. Start flat with everything and then pick the one with the greatest amount of flexibility and/or fine tuning to get your best tone and then make minor tweaks on other others to taste or to the room if you play in different venues.

I do have a similar 3 instances of EQ in that my gigging guitars have onboard preamp/EQ's, a mixer with EQ and then my little Bose S1 Pro(s) have a little EQ. For me with everything set flat I first get a great signal with the mixer since that has the greatest amount of flexibility like sweepable mids, gate, notch, compression, etc. The Bose only has bass and treble and there is a 'set position' that it just works well with everything which is about 35% on both. If I need to tweak for the room then I'll tweak one or both of those during setup and sound check.

Last is the onboard preamp. I fine tune there. The reason being is that I need different EQ's (and volumes) depending on the type of playing on each song, ie: strumming, fingerstyle, or a combination of both. Since I need to change that on the fly it's better to have that control at my fingertips so I leave that for the onboard EQ. For instance, strumming with a pick I dial back the volume and the highs. For fingerstyle (no nails for me) I have to dial up the volume and the trebles significantly. The bass stays around flat but gets tweaked up or down depending on the room, song, or need. I also have notch on the guitar as well but rarely need to use that. Mids generally get dialed back a fair amount and rarely get touched.
This all makes good sense aside from getting rid of the EQ pedal. At church, my one acoustic-electric guitar was sounding pretty flat to me (running through my electric pedal board which has a 10 band MXR EQ pedal on it). The EQ pedal had been off. I set all the meters to - 0 - and turned on the eq. Instantly, my guitar sounded WAY better. I know it doesn't seem to make sense, but I don't believe EQ pedals are necessarily a redundancy in the signal chain.