Thread: Singing Courses
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2011, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Bob, I haven't taken or used any of the online singing approaches, but I have had the greast pleasure of working with 2 of the finest singing coaches, Ms. Theodora Verlyn and Ms. Judy Davis, both now deceased... RIP old girls!

Finding a good coach is really an incredible tool for the singer; unfortunately, nearly EVERY vocal "instructor" is gonna say they have the goods... and it doesn't always work out that way! If you find someone from whom you wish to take lessons, talk to as many of their students as you can. Try to discover what they learned from the coach, how they use it, what thoughts they have. You want to be clear on what YOU want to learn to sing, otherwise you might get into some operatic or "art" song classes. When I took from Theo, that was her "bent"... indeed sh'e worked with and trained many of the best singers on the planet, but much more geared towards the operatic than I ever planned to be! I did learn quite a great deal from her, nonetheless... so be wise in your choice of a coach.

As far as $$$ for lessons go, both of my coaches were willing to work things out with me... ended up just doing some odd jobs for Theo, and Judy had group classes at different levels for $12 a class, IIRC. Don't let money keep you from doing what you want to do!

good luck!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman