View Single Post
Old 03-08-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picker2 View Post

Another erroneous statement by Andy is: "...since guitar strings do not introduce pure sine wave signals, but multi-frequency content ... When you sum these things together, you end up with a surface that resembles wrinkling tin foil...".
Yeah I had a problem with that statement but forgot to comment on it in my other post. More like multiple waves setting up patterns on the top. And the waves do not crash into each other but the higher tones, the smaller ones travel on top of the lower frequency ones. You might get a distortion in the shape of the patterns from the bracing that cause some areas to vibrate greater than others or to favor some frequencies. My thoughts are that much of Taylor's 'improvement' is in using the cross brace below the sound hole. The area that radiates the sound is concentrated in the lower bout and less energy is used to move the area above this brace. I could be wrong but we will not know without someone doing a Chladni pattern on it.

Now I do not have a Taylor to test but that spectrum graph of your guitar seems quite smooth. I am used to seeing responses more in line like this.

It is a shame the person did not zoom in on the area of interest but it is what it is. The resonances are much more pronounced, have a higher Q, which could effect the sound output. If you have two peaks close to each other and a scale tone is between them the note could waver back and forth between the two resonances. Or a big peak could shift the note away from the note that was produced by the string length.