View Single Post
Old 03-01-2020, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
It *can*. These days there are even plugins that will add back in the crackle and pop of a vinyl record with a bad needle :-) Or there are plugins that will simulate the sound of early digital with low bit counts, on and on. People will provide all kinds of ways to destroy (oops, I mean "augment") your sound.

But it doesn't have to be. Ozone has a multi-band "exciter" where one of the options is "tape". it doesn't add any of those things, it seemingly just adds some saturation, EQ, who knows what. It's subtle, but I haven't found it very useful.

UAD has several tape plugins, and you can control lots of aspects, turn on or off the noise, the wow and flutter, crosstalk between channels, etc. When I use it, I turn all that stuff off, and what's left is a subtle (very subtle) warmth with perhaps a touch of compression. I don't always care for it, depends on the track, but sometimes it's nice. Does it sound like tape? I don't really care. I just decide if a recording sounds better on or off (after tweaking settings).

You already have lots of "effects" going on, flanger, etc. I don't think tape would make any positive improvement in this.
Thanks Doug !!
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M