View Single Post
Old 10-03-2018, 05:16 AM
Charter Member

Default Strange issues with two collings guitars (Help?)

Hi, I have ... a number ... of Collings Acoustics, including my first - a 1998 build Ds2H, and a 2003 0002h. Both of these guitars have been afflicted with some sort of lack iof clarity and strange overtones in various notes on the fretboard and on the dreead particularly the bass string seems choked.
The dreadnought has been set up, well, didn't cure the issues, and so the fretboard had been smoothed and refretted but still the issues persist. I spent an hour with my tech/luthier who is extremely experienced and confesses puzzlement, and assures me that it is not my old ears! He has investigated the 000 for loose struts and placed some dabs of glue where there "might have been" some looseness although he wasn't sure.

He is now about to do the same thing with the dread, but currently can find no external evidence. Most of the time my house is pretty standard in heat and RH although, of course during winter RH does reduce and it may have at times gone as low as 20%, but I usually keep my guitars in cases in a cooler place. (btw - heating is via water filled radiators -not warm air!)
I was very ill last year with cancer treatment and did keep the 000 out to try to encourage me to play (without much success) but the dread spent most time in its case, alomng with the others.
I put mediums on my Dreads and lights on my 000. My other Collings guitars have been kept in similar circumstances without negative effect. In the absence of the Collings forum, I'm reaching out to anyone who might have experienced such issues to advise me (and my tech) . Thanks in advance.