View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 01:52 AM

I've played 3 years on and off, and i could manage something around 10 solo pieces. Couldn't be bothered with the ending for quite a few of them. My recommendation, find a song you really like, practise it until you are good enough to perform it, then move on. Your current skill level doesn't matter as learning any difficult song would upgrade your skillz by a significant amount.

I started out with classical gas on a crappy nylon stringer. Got sick of it after realising i was following the wrong tabs for 6 months. Moved on to Tommy Emmanuel pieces (these are hard) and learnt a few. In between, i found a couple of lovely Masaki Kishibe pieces that aren't too hard, although the alternate tuning part may be a little annoying. Ulli Boegershausen also has quite a few enjoyable pieces.

For me, i feel that the best way to learn is to just keep plugging away at a piece while watching it being performed by pros. You'll progress very quickily this way. Now i can play stuff like Angelina (TE) and Kiss from a rose (Ulli Boeger) quite proficiently (once my nails grow back). Don't be too intimidated by the difficulty of the piece. Just do it bit by bit and you'll eventually get the hang of things.