View Single Post
Old 10-02-2022, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italuke View Post
So, are "song circles" where someone suggests a well known song and you have 15 acoustic guitars strumming wildly along simultaneously? Or is a song circle where people share their original songs with the group, where only one maybe a handful of other folks are playing, depending on complexity?

Personally I would think that any good dreadnaught is what you need, as that's what they were designed for, to "cut" through back in the 1930s. But if there are 15 guitars strumming, then, well, it's already chaos, especially in the low frequencies.

Bring a good vintage koa or mahogany ukulele.
A good question.
The OP seems to express a need for "loudness" so it sounds as if in his gathering it is what I'd call a "jam".

I hold two sessions a month at my club: One is called "the Club Sessions" where I give folks 15 minute spots, with a large condenser mic, and the other is what I call "Song Circle" where we simply go around the circle taking turns, one song/piece each. Eslewheee in the UK this is called a "Sing Around" which depending on how "folksy" the club, is often confused with a "sing-along" which is usually, effectively" a lot of unaccompanied folk songs with people adding harmonies and descants and stuff.

Until lockdowns, I used to go to an old time / type jams and took my Dobro and Mandolin, and my Waterloo WL12 which is effectively a 00 but does have the mid/high cut of a maple back.