View Single Post
Old 05-11-2014, 01:36 PM

Default 'Back to the future' Movie mistakes only a guitar nerd can spot...

If you have seen 'Back to the future' or maybes even if you haven't you will know of this scene, in which Marty plays stand in for Marvin Berry at a high school dance because Marvin has cut his hand, so Marty gets up on stage and tears up 'Johnny B Goode', but, remember what guitar he was playing?, yes, A Gibson ES-345 with a retro-fitted Bigsby B7, a guitar released by Gibson in 1958, even though the majority of this movie is set in November 5 1955-November 12 1955, 3 years before this guitar could have even possibly existed (in addition, this one is a 60's one)

Also, being picky here, Marvin Berry phones up his cousin Chuck Berry half way through Marty's performance and says 'You know that new sound you're looking for, well listen to this' he then holds the phone up to Marty's playing, well, I highly doubt that chuck was looking for a new sound because 6 months prior on May 21 1955 he had made his first recording for 'Chess' Records of "Maybellene" which became a million seller and was the start to chuck becoming a large icon in rock and roll.

In addition to that, Chuck Berry never even had a cousin called Marvin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1i5coU-0_Q

I was also watching 'back to the future part III' in which Doc Brown and Marty go back to 1885, if you've seen it you may recall this scene in which everyone goes to a town party and start dancing to a group of musicians (ZZ top)...

Notice anything peculiar??

the guitars the two musicians are holding, the one on the left being a Martin, they are Dreadnought's, a design of guitar that was not invented until martin came up with it in 1916, 31 years AFTER this the year that the movie is set in, the parlor guitar to the right is much more to the period.

Okay, Rant over

Alex Kirtley, UK

Last edited by kirtley2013; 05-11-2014 at 01:55 PM.