View Single Post
Old 01-11-2018, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Hi folks…
I enjoy looper conversations…

I rarely fade songs in studio, and even less live. It feels artificial to me when I'm in the audience. It's a radio or recording tool, but it doesn't seem to mesh well with live performance (awkward).

There are a lot of ways to use loopers. I seldom start the loop at the beginning of a song and leave it engaged, or playing back, till the end of a song…

It's more typical that I may capture the loop of a verse right off the bat when accompanying a singer, and I stop the 'recording' as I'm continuing to back them (I use a 2 pedal looper specifically for this capability), and then after the bridge or at another logical point, I use that loop to provide backing guitar while I solo over it.

Then I end the loop and continue accompanying the singer to the end of the song. I want the loop to be pretty invisible.

I have done a lot of experimenting with loops and know (from experience) there is a point that looping is generally more fun for the player than the audience.

One of my main uses for it is if I'm playing in a new venue, I'll drop the looper into the chain right after my preamp, record about 2 minutes of several styles of music, then turn the looper loose while I go out into the room and talk with the sound-tech about volume, tone and mix while we are hearing the actual guitar playing through their system.

It's better than having someone else play my guitar while I go out into the house and listen. I remove it before the show.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…