View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 12:02 PM

Default Smeck Stage Deluxe Styled Build (finished!)

Hello agf. Just wanted to share build #8, a 12 fret jumbo with Roy Smeck stage deluxe specs, 16” lower bout, smaller (3.8”) soundhole, 4-25-4.5” thick body, etc. I did an actual build thread over on leftyfrets....because this is a lefty (not a pick guard eff up).

I got great info from Dale Fairbanks and Roy McCallister on Smeck specs etc (the luthier community is so open - so grateful). I originally built it with tapered X braces with the idea that if the top was too tight after building I’d do what Gibson reportedly did and what I believe Kim walker does now, and that’s trim braces after build. Indeed, the top resonance of this was 200+hz, whereas most dreads and jumbos are closer to 180 hz and sometimes lower. I did some what I’d say is relatively mild scalloping to get it to 190 hz and I really like the crisp bass and piano balance string to string.

I shot some pics in my diy photo booth, did a video too and tomorrow it ships to its owner in Texas! I love this guitar and will be sad to see it go. But not too sad. It took two bursts and top finishes, 2.5 necks, 1 neck removal after glueing etc etc.....

Specs:

Hampton bros red spruce top (graduated top ala preston Thompson guitars)
Cuban mahogany back and sides
Honduras mahogany neck
Gabon ebony fretboard and headplate
African Blackwood bridge
Ivoroid binding and rope purfling
Hand rubbed sunburst
Varnish finish

Bone saddle and nut
Red spruce bracing
Hot hide glue construction
Peone blocks for top join
25’ radius top, 12’ radius back
4.5 lbs

VIDEO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuUJKV8vIyE&sns=em

Untitled by Sam Van, on Flickr

Last edited by Sam VanLaningham; 01-10-2018 at 01:05 PM.