Thread: Collings nut
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosedog View Post
Recently acquired an OM2H with the vintage now neck. The string cuts on the nut seem very shallow, with the string almost riding on top of the nut. This leaves a larger gap between the string and the fretboard, especially in the first few frets, making it more difficult to play notes and chords cleanly and retain accurate intonation. The action was high overall and I lowered the saddle a couple of times. The action could still come down more but I think cutting deeper grooves in the nut would be next before taking the saddle down more. The neck is straight. I bought it from the original owner who played it very little and made no modifications to it.

Does anyone know the Collings specs so I can compare them to mine? Is there a difference between the Collings standard neck specs and the vintage now neck?

I really, really like this guitar and it is by no means unplayable, but I think it could be better. I don’t like a really low action as I dig in pretty good sometimes so I’m careful not to go too low.

Thanks
As another poster stated, Colling's "specs" don't matter a fig. If the nut slots aren't cut down properly, hire someone to do it right. I don't mind teaching my guitar clients to adjust their truss and adjust their saddle action (from below), but nut slotting is something that takes skill and experience to get it well done, and Collings guitars are worth getting it done right. If it was a beater, DIY is fine...

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia