View Single Post
Old 12-03-2017, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
Interesting. I find Jimmys take a bit more to my experience as it does not rule out Divine Inspiration as Hal seems to do.
You take "divine inspiration" seriously? You think Jimmy Raney did?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
For me there's more to it than recall from whatever level. There's the ideal of being "in the moment" with no past and no future, "hanging ten" on the Big Wave, being a Mystic rather than a Mechanic.
Right, but that's the illusion. I know the feeling exactly, but there's nothing "divine" about it. It comes from internalising all the stuff you practise. Exactly as you said before: "internalizing experience and accessing it...or letting it surface without conscious effort". There is literally nothing more to it than "recall from whatever level." It just happens subconsciously rather than consciously.

I don't think it helps to promote the view that it's somehow mystical and not understandable.
It's significant here that Galper is a teacher and Raney was not. It's Galper's business to understand the mechanisms. Raney was only expressing his sensation, not interrogating it. I'm sure he'd have agreed with Galper on how he got to that stage.