View Single Post
Old 04-12-2019, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Default Mandolin Strings - Changing and such!

I have a wondrous Lebeda F-5 mandolin made about 15 years ago - had it from new.
Sadly, Mando Bob who takes all the mando parts (refuses to learn to play guitar properly) and I'm no longer in a bluegrass band, I rarely get to see the thing, let alone play it!

My preferred brand for both Mandolin and Dobro is Jim Dunlop, I always felt that they had a slightly higher tension than others.

I have recently started going to a "sort of" jam which gave me the opportunity to play both and realised that My mando strings (Dunlop 11-40 nickel wound - bought in error) had been on for 14 months!
Dunlop strings are increasingly difficult to buy in the UK, so I thought the new Nickel bronze D'addarios might be a good substitute.

Today was supposed to be a gardening day, but the weather didn't cooperate, so i decided to restring my mandolin.

I like changing strings but mandolin IS a challenge.

I removed all but two strings whilst cleaning and polishing to keep the bridge in place and when I opened this "new" set of D'addario NBs, I noticed that the unwound strings were showing signs of corrosion. (the 14 month old Dunlops weren't!)

Anyway, I had to continue - got the job done - not a process to rush!
I know strings need to bed in but oooh - nasty sound!

And, less tension ???
Anybody else play mandolin too ?
Any comments on strings?

BTW - I just looked on YouTube for "Changing Mandolin strings - about a dozen videos all different and some REALLY poor advice to be found.

I guess I'll have to do my own video some tme, but it wonlt be for a while (I hope) .