View Single Post
Old 06-26-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmagill View Post

... I merely used the 'opening up' phenomenon as an exercise to illustrate to those who use their subjective opinions to style themselves an authority on matters of perception and taste how questionable such matters are when examined objectively.
My goal was to try to add a cautionary note to the tendency of some to promote without question their subjective experience as objective truth, and to encourage them with good reasons to, in fact, question that subjective experience.

Then perhaps, we can move beyond guitar lore for a while to fresher, more interesting topics.
Well, I agree with everything you're implying here.

And I don't think you are at all saying that there aren't differences between say, E.I. Rosewood and some other type or that a guitar that's 10 years old sounds identical to its new counterpart.

On the other hand, I'll repeat a question that I've asked in another thread: How many here have had the experience of comparing these things while eliminating all of the other variables that might contribute to differences? I doubt that the number is anywhere near to the number of those who make spurious claims.

I do alot of recording and mixing. It continually amazes me that the same sounds coming out of my monitors in the same room can sound harsh one day and warm the next. Is it the humidity and the way temperature affects the paper in the cones? Are electrical components affected by environmetal factors? Or is it that my hearing sensitivity varies from day to day?
I don't know but what I do know is that skepticism is essential when it comes to all this stuff.

Jim McCarthy