View Single Post
Old 01-20-2021, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyrondack View Post
Who was that poltician ridiculed for banginging on about known unknowns and unknown unknowns?
Seems to me now that the unknown unknowns are very relevant to how fast a learner can progress with their instrument, more so after reading The Art of Brainjo.
So to speed up learning I invite players to share those insights into any aspect of music/guitar playing that they wish had come to them years earlier.
To start the ball rolling one from me that I wished I had realised much sooner is the value of using intervals of a 10th ( for fingerstyle) as a proxy for chords when harmonising a melody, especially in those situations when holding a chord on the melody note is just too difficult.
What were your unknown unknowns that you now know?
From the late '60s intil the mid '90s I didn't know that I needed wider fretboards.
I just kinda assumed that all guitar neck profiles and widths were all much the same.

I played a '73 Martin d35 from '75 to '95 and thought it was a great guitar (still is actually , one of the best), then I sold it to a friend to buy a Martin j40. which whilst seemingly the same width but with a low profile and virtually unplayable for me.

Then, somebody lent me hid D35-S. ... changed my life! 12 fret 1 & 13/16" nut widths optimum.