Thread: Pickup woes...
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I believe that Epiphone has a lifetime warranty on their guitars, at least for materials and workmanship. If you were happy with the factory pickup while it worked, why not just get them to fix it?

http://www.epiphone.com/Support/Warranty.aspx
Sadly, said warranty doesn't cover electronics past one year. I am well beyond that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
What isn’t working on that pickup? The magnetic sound? I find that that pickup produces very low (almost inaudible) sound with Elixer strings. It may seem like it is broken if you use the wrong strings. Coated D’Adderios work well.
I did notice that the mag was weak (I use Elixirs exclusively), but that wound up being the icing on the cake. The initial issue was the wire leading to the UST basically disintegrated. After that I tried using the mag by itself and noticed the very low output. At that point I was ready to move on.

Quote:
One of the reasons I like my Schertler AG6/S-Mic so much is that the microphone is well isolated from handling noise so you don’t hear extraneous noises when you accidentally touch it. I don’t know how other mag mics are, but that was a main reason I stopped using the M80.
Yeah, I think all of that extraneous noise from handling the M80 comes from the floating coil. It was downright fantastic for less exuberant playing.