View Single Post
Old 06-10-2019, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

It really depends on the environment.

I have played "out" now for over 10 years.Farmers markets,coffee houses, senior centers and some private promo events.

Recently we moved to a smaller city in western Washington state from the Twin Cities.The Minneapolis /St Paul music scene is very dynamic with a LOT of talented pro and amateur players...

Previously, my favorite venue was a medium sized farmers market.We had a designated spot with a canopy and amps.Great atmosphere and very complimentary market patrons.

My current city has the musicians of their farmers market in a "busking" type of situation.No amps allowed, no covers(even thought they charge you $20 a season to play there....).You are allowed only 30 minutes in a open area right in the middle of the passing crowds, with no real designated space.Then you have to move on to the next area.

I tried the busking format twice there and it was a dismal experience.The crowd practically ran me over , no one could hear me play, even with blowing the harmonica loudly.By some miracle my guitar and case suffered no damage from the stomping and inattentive crowds...

I have recently acquired 2 other farmers market gigs in nearby towns.These are nicely structured with a booth, signed contract, canopy ,plug in, positive support and respect by the other vendors and market patrons.

So my busking experience was short and lousy to say the least.

To answer your question, I found busking to be the very LEAST intimidating format of performing in front of a live(or were they really alive?) audience.

Maybe you will have better luck and find it enjoyable.

Gabe

Last edited by guitargabor; 06-10-2019 at 08:57 PM.