View Single Post
Old 05-30-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
There is nothing to unlearn when the youngster moves on to guitar, any more than you have to unlearn anything when you use a capo.
That's not how using a capo feels to me, and I've been avoiding to use one because I get confused by the shorter scale length and scores that no longer sound like they're written (or if they are not 'adapted', but having different open strings). That'll have to change at some point, and I hope it will...
Either way, adding a capo to a guitar is modifying an instrument you already know. Moving to an instrument and then just playing it as if you removed something you may not even be familiar with strikes me as having a quite steeper learning curve.

In fact, I seriously considered getting myself a diddley bow first as apparently a lot of the musicians I appreciate learned on that.

Quote:
do not get a baritone uke or a half size guitar or a guitalele for a four-year-old. Keep it easy and simple.
Just curious, what do you suggest a four-year old start on instead of a piano

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)