View Single Post
Old 03-18-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilo123 View Post
Thanks for the words of encouragement Mike! i am just trying to get something playable for this first time. like i said earlier i have absolutely zero experience with woodworking, glues, and power tools. so this is all a new experience for me.

the bloodwood i like also Mike but it is not a full size so i have to checkerboard my headstock in that case. the 1st set listed are specifically headstock size. the 2nd set that includes bloodwood is a little less than half size. so maybe i will do 2 if i do bloodwood if possible. bloodwood and?

I was in the same boat only a few years ago, little woodworking knowledge, guitar building experience etc. The mistakes keep coming but you always are learning and having fun. I'm sure you already have the next build in mind .

And I'm not sure if I fully understand the "half size" issue...but if I hear you right - the bloodwood veneer comes in 2" widths or so? If this is the case You could always join 2 pieces to create 4" wide veneer (similar to joining top and back plates) . But, joining 2 pieces may not give you the symmetry of a truly bookmatched veneer.

Buying a pre-made veneer isnt a bad idea. Although it may slow down your process etc. Here's a link to a bloodwood headplate from LMI

http://www.lmii.com/products/mostly-...odwood/flypage

Also there are many options to pick from LMI... including mahogany to match your top plate..? so many options eh ..lol

I hope I understood your question correctly... If your thinking 1/32" thick "underlay/layer" veneers just let me know

Mike