View Single Post
Old 04-04-2021, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1 View Post
This is a great point Tony. When I studied with Howard Morgen, he taught all the inversions on the set of top 4 strings, the bottom 4 strings, and the middle four strings.

Then years later when I studied with Alex Adrian, he explained the point you just made. Once you learned all the shapes, not only did you you not have to play a chord for every note, but you didn't always have to play the entire chord. For example, he said once you are in the context of the piece, if it's time for a major 7th chord, you don't always have to play the root, 3rd, 5th, and 7th. You can leave out the 5th, or maybe just play two notes. He would say; "Just play notes baby."
You studied with Howard Morgen? I am jealous.

I do have all of Howard Morgen's books AND the tapes that went with several of them. Most of these are now out of print and I have long since converted the tapes to MP3s, fortunately. It would have been great to have first-hand experience with him though because a book can only go so far. This is why I highly recommend Conti, because those DVDs that come with the books are just like him sitting in your living room explaining how to work with the material step by step.

Tony