Thread: Love songs
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2024, 05:43 PM

[QUOTE=ghostnote;7440221]I find it works better if I’m the loser in the story.

Then what about the no-one's-a-loser-I'm-just-in-love song?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
You always feel your own pain more than someone else’s, as selfish as that may sound. And that makes it more authentic, which makes for a better song.
I don't write about myself.

I once heard Justin Hayward of Moody Blues interviewed on the once-big New York rock station WNEW.* The DJ asked him who inspired "Nights in White Satin." Hayward said no one.

The DJ pushed. A song that beautiful must've been inspired by someone, right? Hayward said, "No. It's just a song."

That's what I do. I write songs. They're hardly ever about you or me or a girlfriend or an ex. They're just songs. The few that are about an actual person are the terrrible ones. That's why I don't write many of them.

Quote:
And I like to toss in a little rueful irony, too, if possible - it kinda removes some of the depression.
Heh heh. Yeah. This is the Age of Snark, isn't it? For me, songwriting removes depression. The content doesn't matter.

Quote:
I’m not so good at happy love songs - lost love songs I can do much better.
There are lots of happy love songs. Actually, that's one of the things I can't pull off. Think of "Here, There, and Everywhere," "Good Day, Sunshine," "My Cheri Amour," "Never Gonna Let Her Go," or "That's the Way She Feels About You."

------------------

* The one Harry Chapin made fun of in his song about WOLD.

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 04-06-2024 at 05:53 PM.