View Single Post
Old 11-21-2020, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

When I was planning to marry my longtime sweetheart and move into her empty nest (eventually) in my early 60s, I had a big, old, cluttered house I needed to sell first. And I realized that prepping for the sale had been hanging like a millstone around my neck for 4-5 depressing years. I finally rationalized that working 40 hours a week (plus 10 extra hours getting ready, decompressing and commuting) was my major obstacle to moving forward.

So I retired and got busy with 50 new hours a week and a central mission. Spent a month filling a dumpster and repairing things, showed my house to numerous realtors and got the thing done. How extremely liberating it was!

Leading up to this epiphany (not Epiphone), my job had become a real chore and I'd had adequate resources for awhile to pull the plug. But still I continued to plod along. Creatures of habit, the Classic American Career Profile tends to keep us in the yoke (whether a job is wonderful, hateful or just "meh"). Having something to look FORWARD to was all it took - to bust a move and make it happen at age 62.

Of course, your circumstances will vary from mine a little or a lot. But if my story rings a bell, give it some thought. Something worthwhile in your future to replace the ongoing chore of pushing somebody else's wheel up a hill for 2080 hours/year might be all it takes to slip the leash and run free!

CAVEAT:
Be warned. Not a day goes by that I'm not doing something here with a paintbrush, wrench, voltmeter, sander, saw or hammer. Or guitar.

During your next few weeks/months at work, ask yourself. What could I be doing/enjoying instead of this?

Last edited by tinnitus; 11-22-2020 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Please refrain from profanity