View Single Post
Old 06-14-2019, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctvolfan View Post
Question for you solo singer song writers out there. I have yet to play live anywhere yet and plan on doing some open mics first to get my feet wet. I have only in recent years started writing and singing my own songs.

I do have some songs were I was able to incorporate a guitar solo into my songs as I sing and play alone. Most of these solos are basically a form of strumming some chords with some individual string picking within the chords.
However there are some songs (mostly slow songs) where I have a guitar solo that I can't really play during my solo act because it is a pure string picking solo that is not combined with chords. I hope that makes sense but think of it as a solo you would play while somebody else is playing rhythm guitar at the same time. It would be an odd break to go from some strumming in some songs into a solo that would tend to make the song lose its energy since my rhythm part would just dead stop in the middle of the song for my solo.

So my question is, when playing out as a solo artist (just you, your voice and your guitar) do you feel you have to have a guitar solo or do you play many of your songs without solos? Do you feel that every song has to have a solo or break of some sort?
I mean, if I were playing any of these songs with somebody else that is backing me up with some rhythm guitar then I would play these solos. It just seems that some solos work for some songs and some don't as far as playing and singing alone. Thanks for the input!
Hi,
the answer is no I don't "have" to add a solo, but I do feel that I need an instrumental into and outro of some kind, and once I've worked them out - I might as well used them to give me a little solo part after, say the 2nd verse ... or whatever.

Almost any song melody can be found within the chord sequence, so all I need to do is find it as I play the chord progression.

This is what this video is about :

and here is another example: