View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 04:20 PM

Default 2 Chasson Concerts

I've got 2 fun Concerts underway. Some very special wood. One is for Trevor at TAMCO. It has an Engelmann top and Cocobolo back/sides.

Engelmann varies more from piece to piece than any other top wood I've seen. It's all over the map in density, stiffness, and appearance. I have a few sets of the more classic creamy white wood with less distinct grain lines and when stiff, they can make great tops. But I also have a handful of tops with wider grain and harder lines. These sets are more like the best Euro spruce. They have a crisper tone than the softer Engelmann but are still warmer than other spruces. This particular top is also as light weight as any I've seen. Awesome wood.

The Cocobolo back is unusual in that it has the dark ink lines as well as a light bees wing figure. Perfectly quartered too. Like the guitar I built for Adam Chan, I decided to continue the sapwood theme to the fingerboard and headplate.

The other guitar is Redwood and Ziricote. The redwood is more from my stash of 50 year old wood found stored in a barn in Idaho. The Ziricote speaks for itself. I prefer the look of a Florentine Cutaway but the client who ordered this prefers Venetian. I proposed a compromise in Bruce Sexauer's hybrid and we are both well pleased. Thanks to Bruce for sharing!